Forums > Jitter and CPU consumption

January 14, 2011 | 4:02 pm

Hi Jitter’s

I need to draw several thousands of colored arcs in a jitter window. Right now, I am using a the GL environment and a combination of a and to achieve this. I send all the vertices for each arc in GL format to the (same) object.
However, with several thousands of arcs, it gets really heavy on the CPU (30% of CPU without, around 100% with, measure with "Activity Monitor" on my MBP).

Here is an example of the visual result.

I would really need to make this lighter. Do you see a way to achieve this?
Would it be more efficient to use one per arc ? What about switching to or using Would it be less heavy on the CPU ?

Currently, my rendering options are : @auto_material 0 @depth_enable 0 @two_sided 0 @blend_enable 1 @auto_material 0 @depth_enable 0 @two_sided 0 @pushstate 0 @blend_enable 1

Any idea is welcome…

January 26, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Hi vanille béchamel,

Thank’s for your reply.
I actually found another way to drastically reduce the CPU consumption of the drawing with enabling the "displaylist" option of As I understand it, it creates a cache of the elements to display. In my system I only add static arcs. So the cache seems very efficient.
I went down from about 100% to 12% !!!

February 15, 2011 | 2:56 pm

Is there another way to minimize the load when drawing a few thousands of objects?
I’m writing a drawing program where spheres are drawn on a
I need to be able to change the viewpoint so I’m drawing spheres one next to another to draw a line, but it chokes really fast.
I can’t use the lineto command because I can’t control the individual width of each linesegment (I think)

February 16, 2011 | 8:37 am

Hi Pieter,

I think the lineto drawing can be affected by a thickness (I don’t remember the command though). You may have a ligther way to draw your line if I’m right about that. Have look in the doc for OpenGL commands. Or even in the doc of OpenGL itself.

February 16, 2011 | 9:30 am

Hi BenCello,

indeed the gllinewidth does exactly that, unlike the line_width message.
Now up to the anti-aliasing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums > Jitter