I’ve been making a patch for a play, and I find it to be very instable (around a few crashes per hour).
I know that this question is asked a few times before, but the answers didn’t give me a clear direction for what I could do. Time is running out for me and I don’t seem to find a solution myself (sad face). It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction (puppy face).
purpose of the patch:
It’s a 5 layered video sequencer for black-white video’s. Output is for 2 projectors. Input is sensor-data to manipulate the video’s (step through the video, start video, go to next video…)
main structure of the patch:
1 ‘channel’ bpatcher with 2 slab-chains that is used 5 times in the main patch. It’s connected to a pattr system with unique names so I can address the objects inside each channel.
A general render engine with 2 windows
when the crashes occur:
sometimes when I’m moving an object, sometimes when I go to the next pattr preset, sometimes when I’m not touching the computer at all. The crashes are not reproducible and in rare cases there even is no crash log. I don’t use third party externals.
curiosities I found in the console:
every start-up it prints this:
Max(3278,0xa080f540) malloc: *** error for object 0x19e71000: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
sometimes I can find lots of these:
*** Assertion failure in -[NSEvent deviceDeltaX], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1038.36/AppKit.subproj/NSEvent.m:2323
sometimes I can find one of these:
_RemoveTimeTask(), the current time manager task 0x1e94358c being removed is also currently executing its tmAddr routine, so unexpected things may result ( Radar #4555679 ).
I’m using max 5 and 6 (6 seems more crash-sensitive than 5)
I’ll attach the patch (although it’s pretty much undocumented, sorry for that!).
1. open folder with videos at the upper left corner of the screen.
2. play with the movies in the channels
3. store and recall presets
Also attached: the last 3 crash logs
thanks a lot!
Just to be complete:
sometimes it crashes pretty soon, other times it crashes after a while. There doesn’t seem to be any predictability.
Update: I trashed the pattr system, throwed out all things that I didn’t really need and temporarily disabled the sensor-part. Now it’s stable.
Forums > MaxMSP