Forums > MaxMSP

Razer Hydra 3D controller available but no Mac version currently

June 30, 2011 | 3:34 pm

The Razer Hydra 3D controller is now available (in North America at least)

I think it has much potential as a musical controller because it’s made for short distance and it is said to be very precise (1 millimeter / 1 degree). It uses a magnetic sensing system (capacitive ?). It could be a nice alternative to Kinect and Wiimote.

However it’s currently PC-only. Has anyone tried it yet ?

July 1, 2011 | 1:30 pm

I have been eyeing this myself. It has a much higher resolution and it’s position
Is absolute as opposed to relative. Which should make it’s behavior much
more consistent, much more instrument like.

July 6, 2011 | 7:56 pm

I just got mine today

Cant seem to get the midi program to work (that the provide on steam with it)

They also provide a SDK for the Hydra

If anyone with programing skills could make an OSC bridge or HID bridge, that would be awsome

I think using both the kinect and hydra could be used for all sorts of interesting things, such as instruments, digital drums, digital sculpting (jitter) and etc.

July 6, 2011 | 7:58 pm

P.s I have a kinect as well and the orientation and position tracking hydra provides knocks all other gesture controllers out of the park

July 22, 2011 | 6:21 pm

Take a look at this thread:

Sixense is beta testing an OSC bridge.

July 22, 2011 | 6:29 pm

Yeb, Ive been playing with it

a mac version will be available as well :)

July 22, 2011 | 8:27 pm

wow, I didn’t even know that was out there. great to hear and verrry interesting……

wonder if [hi] sees it? or [serial]?

too bad about the wires, guess they want to keep it within the optimal 2-3 foot radius for sensing. Getting a bigger range for this would help a lot, I would definitely rather be un-tethered…

still, the accuracy and number of variables you can control looks amazing.

July 22, 2011 | 8:56 pm

Hi doesnt see it – but like mrmormon pointed out – Sixense (the company that developed the hydra) is making an OpenSoundControl bridge

So it will be real easy to use it with Max

July 22, 2011 | 9:09 pm

and btw – if I had neither and I had to choose between two gifts right now – Id rather get the hydra then a Fender stratocaster :)

March 31, 2012 | 3:03 am

Perhaps I can revive this thread. See for an OSC program of mine. It runs at 250 Hz, giving access over port 7022 to the entire physical state of the left and right controllers. I only compiled it for Windows, but Sixense recently made Mac and Linux SDKs available (also free)!

March 31, 2012 | 6:48 pm

I can’t see this thread (*"You are not authorised to read this forum"). What is the thread about?

April 1, 2012 | 5:00 am

Sixense moved its forums to vBulletin, so either go to the electro-music link or

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums > MaxMSP