Forums > MaxMSP

serial command to projector as one BYTE (keyspan USA-19QW)

February 21, 2010 | 5:51 pm

I know this isn’t the most popular thing to do these days, but I am attempting to control a device through serial commands. I’ve done it before, but this time Im a little stumped.

I need to send the following (according to panasonic manual and tech support there)

STX as one byte – but of course when I use atoi / spell in conjunction with the serial object, it sends 3 bytes.

What am i missing here to be able to send a string as a single byte?

I would really appreciate some help on this one…

Im using a mac mini, OS 10.5, max5 + keyspan USA-19QW USB->serial adapter

thanks in advance

February 21, 2010 | 7:03 pm

STX must be a nemonic for some byte, no? An ASCII character is 7 or 8 bits, depending on your definition, so "STX" could never be sent as one byte as ASCII.

Is there a link to the manual for the projector?

February 22, 2010 | 4:13 pm

here’s a link for the serial protocol:

Sadly, panasonic tech support has told me they won’t help me, as they do not support usb-> serial converters. strange, but I think I may call them and pretend to be someone else. though if you have a clue, it would be a help.

Ive tried with a nullmodem cable, a pass through cable, and just nada, nothing doing, so I am guessing it has to do with this STX ‘command’ ETX string.

February 22, 2010 | 5:04 pm

I’ve seen this before where the commands were sent in hex
STX = 02
ETX = 03

February 22, 2010 | 6:58 pm

Turns out STX and ETX are ASCII control chars:
STX == 02
ETX == 03

February 22, 2010 | 10:03 pm

Wow, this is a great resource – I was a little lost here. One last question and I can link this all together, how do i send hex numbers out the serial object?

thanks for your help guys…

February 23, 2010 | 4:44 am

As an update to the above – I’ve tried everything I can figure out, but of course sending anything through the serial gets converted to an integer there. So sending a ‘2’ actually results in ’50’ – spell, atoi and so on don’t cut the mustard.

so how to send hex out the serial port then?

February 23, 2010 | 11:10 am

I’ve done a projector remote to switch on and off the projector with serial commands. It uses an arduino only. You can find details (in french) at
and code at

Hope it helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums > MaxMSP