Forums > Jitter

Small questions / installation requirements

December 18, 2012 | 10:27 am

Hi mates,
I’d like to know some opinions about an installation.

– 3 videoprojectors/screens (= 1 matrix only in jitter considering what I have to do)
– playing videos from files only, moving video matrices a bit and fading them
– playing multichannel sounds (no more than 4 x stereo) and no processing of sounds

videos are all DV formats (meaning that the global matrix won’t be more than 2160 x 576 pixels)
probably triplehead2go to use (?)

would a dedicated Mac Mini be enough ??

any helps or leads would be appreciated.

December 18, 2012 | 10:36 am

Hey, I’m using a triplehead like that as well, but for openGL rendering. 3 times 800×600 stitched together to 2400×600. For video I estimate a recent mac mini (core i processor) should be enough but make sure your videos are in a low CPU load codec like MJPEG.

December 18, 2012 | 10:39 am

thanks for your answer.
I target something like the i7 2,3Ghz + 8Go RAM

Ok about the codec stuff. That is important.
A big batch to push every content to MJPEG can easily be done by content providers.

December 18, 2012 | 12:00 pm

i7 should be plenty.
Btw, instead of merging the 3 streams in 1 matrix you can upload ‘m to 3 videoplanes in one GL context. No heavy matrix operations needed. Use UYVY color mode for efficiency, see patches at
Not sure how the integrated graphics processor of these mac mini’s handle this kind of GL operations though. You should compare the 2 approaches in practice.

December 18, 2012 | 2:59 pm

targeting that proc because they have that budget and want to reuse the computer for other install. I think that could be good for their future.
thanks for the vade’s link. I have checked that one day. nice optimizations check list :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums > Jitter