super slow maxmsp
It has been now some time that my MaxMSP is super slow.
I bought a new macbook Pro Retina Display last summer and whenever I put some simple things like splays playing fast or one vst, the computer/processing becomes super slow and it seems the buffer does not manage this. It has happen that I turn off the sfplay~ and the audio keeps playing and stops after some seconds. The previous MacBook I had could do much more (and I mean, a lot more) processing handling… Everything is updated so I don’t understand this issue. It is annoying.
Anyone has the same problem? Is it due to retina computers cpu stuff or could it be because I am running Mountain Lion?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and good luck.
I found this in the Max help which may solve your issue…
MacBook Retina GUI Redrawing Issues
On a Retina Macbook, if you have a patch that is performing a lot of user interface drawing, such as rapid updates to JSUI, you are possibly backlogging the queue, which can have an effect on scheduler performance. On these machines, GUI rendering costs are roughly 4x expensive, unless you disable high resolution support (patchers will look worse). To turn off high resolution support for Max, go to the Finder, and Get-Info (cmd+i) on the Max application icon and check the "Open in Low Resolution" box.
If it’s not the retina rendering cost affecting your performance. Often times, audio preferences either being manually or corrupted somehow in machine migration to have a low signal vector size is an issue. Check your Options -> Audio Status -> Signal Vector Size, and make sure that it is something reasonable like 32 or higher. If this value is set to something low like 16 or less, CPU can be expensive as the overhead for per vector operations begins to outweigh the sample operations that happen within processing a single signal vector of audio.
If neither of these seem to be the issue for you, please contact support.
Thanks for your comments!
I had already change the signal vector size to high values such as 1024 and I was having the same problem.
For instance: playing sfplay~ + seek $1 with random values triggered from a metro = 10 ms, seems to clog the buffer. If I change the metro it will take some time for to 1) update the value in the number box controlling metro, it keeps stuck for some time 2) the audio takes seconds to update to the new values. The patch is just this… there no more msp processes or objects…
I will do more tests.
Did you solve this?
I am having maybe similar slowness issues, that disappear when I turn of Audio DSP processing.
Same issue here. Max is very slow in retina display mode.
Opening max in low resolution make it faster… But the same patch is much faster on my old 13 inch 2 core…
Please, Cycling, take a look at this problem!
turned low resolution mode on, vector size 32, still my 2011 macbook pro is much faster than my 2014 one….
Here is a solution you might also want to try,
IN case you have many UI elements that you update very fast,
then one solution is to limit the number of UI events processing, which slows down the UI refresh, but keeps everything else running smoothly.
To do this in Max preferences, under the Scheduler section, set the "Redraw queue throttle" to a low value (1-10).
Forums > MaxMSP