Update Limit When Sending Control Parameters to Cascade
I’m morphing between two different equalizer curves using the raw output of a Live dial and some Scale objects. It works fine at first but then after a few minutes it goes nuts – I hear all this zipper noise and distortion which gets progressively worse, then silence. I changed the Update Limit of the Live Dial to 40ms and the problem subsided. My question is have I just side-stepped a larger problem or should I minimize data controlling the Cascade filter? If so, what is the best practice for this sort of thing and does this apply to controlling other objects as well?
Can you show the device?
I believe I figured out what the problem was. I had cascade, filtergraph, plugin and plugout towards the bottom right and it was sorta messy in general. I was ignoring the order of things. So I did some organization on it and the problem went way – I was able to remove the update limit. It works perfectly now. At least I haven’t experienced that same problem.
So, I’m guessing that if I just align things in a way that looks right I’m halfway towards making it work efficiently. As this is my first M4L project, I’m still a bit fuzzy on what the best practice is for optimizing signal flow.
Using the trigger object is a good means to knowing what is going where, and in what order. The right-most output will always be sent with first.
instead of _shorter update times i would try to interpolate the modulation data by making it a signal.
I’m not sure I would know how to do that [See attached if you like]. I’m actually using the exponential response setting in the live dials to get equal power curves (it’s a 5 channel surround panner). I started this from a very simple quad panner someone had posted on the live forum some time ago because his idea with the dials seemed like an easy way to get the curves. It’s kinda wonky in that the dials have a stepped response when the curve is steep but I don’t hear it int the end result. I’m sure it’s a pretty novice design but it seems to be doing the job ok. Any advice on making it more efficient and smoother would be appreciated.
Hello, i had some problem last nigth with live.gui object max update 5.1.5. I think the problem could be in the Update limit settings 1 for default.
1) live.gui objects with Update limit > 0 does not initialize correctly own value, i think the init value is delayed of Update setup time (1) the problem it’s easly solvable putting Update limit = 0, anyway the gui.object they should emit init value at time 0.
2) strange behavior when sending data through "set $1" message, see example for more details:
----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 915.3oc4Xs0aZCCE9Y3WgWzdXShVEaHbYRaR6goooMsJMos8PWExPN.dMwNJ 1gQaU+uOGmXBTRnbqzV0WRHGexwmuOetQtodMmAhYfzA8Nz4nZ0todsZFQoB pk+bMmP5rgAToQMmghvPfqbZjslBloxjGvFdIRIPR.PTtHjFv.zaBfQp2ZUN hpFNgwG2OFFpx1Tbqdm51.gIsL27bSuQzWQWj+RiDbkjcMjpOlnWNSLOIjwC .kwqv4BY9FeQL3umPHNKX.NMzX.mOFynANE1PjnrFwMU3s0qmdowdxFbgBEo UBEBRIcL7G9Ye8UVsBXbXnHgaTkTM2P5zNkMZ1xPJXbqrmN.bi6iI2rLu76e b12+7VSM31KRM8HGJlA26wjY9YjOUAn.VHSgdOBidyGPtqK6okA3DOurbnNG pjGbmmPzf6ZHf7..hG1v.tGrxG31GCFXPhRI3V6kYL0UQPF3bFP4iclijRqP Xpd1D2zh66f96ElsJGL3c.L4ozqbbJAE503JA4l.PhqIPukAl3ta4wKoDbu0 cG1EFIfMENUalTsxMpFeYrhU.kq6UPULcXPp3u8ke8IzfjQifXT.vGqlfXbT HKHfI0UF49R6KNkFO2uS2nLsOGeQ0LcCjyn.AUsQTtmoZRd6YuEn7HZrdeUP befSGD.KFZcuwa3xYW6QDMJBzlmObIqJoSA+9TkJloyXfheIyI+b1OkTBR.w HqXq7Ec5PsGZxWsAKKsJiyTow.YTgq6bXujVVRcMVXUxYIsjSDwEwcom5mjc .5ThxgBecbUVHdmRc6.AebYVqHbXECtNVP2F9xTyIqBjoFP3uFNXjXwn7kVL QSPxJWUD6CwUYWeXT0KJi.vW2znZXIUPjrZedJSxxOxHkn.LKRvg7QSJ09E4 x8meXTICntp5sJzdb2UGApwRlFlpO1aG4NMXR9LF3csSi6gqtJG9m1jqznI4 ZV5H.tESLTNNaTb2TMdCfcaSmmrgN25wKJo+S2ss8SymHMjwcHOHMj6bL5Gu 2IAYfuI1cGSB7dVOawdNXgMz4AYvBRudOmlrnWudm9LezhWjyUfewLXgI3z7 8XtymGzjYmJe4hSRQR7PaAA6n9nhjaePpX74EiNu3+etfRSX99.eAhzIj4GI z00xcBzEkVpbi8Ixl3S3ipOoGE.QtOWhbboI2Mfl59jik5bT8nNa.GY5JcD8 o6tek6Ud6gOoe315+G.optMa -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
i’m waiting news, thanks regards :-)
Forums > Max For Live