Forums > MaxMSP

waveform~ not showing buffer~ contents!

Aug 19 2010 | 9:52 pm

I have 3 buffers in my patch, attached to 3 waveforms. When I open the patch and use record~ to record audio into the buffers, it records properly because it’s there when I click on the buffer~ itself. The waveform does not display the contents however.

The only way I can get it to work is to rename the buffer~ and the waveform every time i open the patch. Since i have to submit this in a month, obviously I cannot have it needing to be renamed every time its opened.

The patch is not finished yet but I need to know it works!

Any suggestions would be great, here is the patch

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —

thanks guys!


Aug 19 2010 | 10:18 pm

This has come up before, it may be an actual bug, but also could be order of instantiation: if your waveform~ objects are created before the buffer~ objects, they don’t know which buffer~ to reference, and aren’t notified when the correctly-named buffer~ is created. I could be wrong about that though, if anyone knows please advise…

I would simply use a loadbang and a delay of a few seconds, then it bangs the "set" message to the waveforms~ again. Does that work?

By the way, I really like the "drunksliders" module. Very useful!

Aug 20 2010 | 10:07 am

Hey seejay cheers, yea the drunk sliders is handy, pain in the arse to make tho, lots of patch cabling! The set message doesn’t work if i press it, i might just start again and make sure i create the waveforms after the buffers, il let u know if it works and il post something to the forum as a new topic to let pple know 2.



Aug 20 2010 | 10:23 am

it worked initially, but not when i opened the patch again. I erased all the waveforms and just made them again and it worked perfectly, but when i saved the patch and reopened it they wont display anything! Where would i go to report a bug?

Aug 20 2010 | 6:29 pm

Before doing too much more of that patch cabling, check out the Max Toolbox, which does a lot of this stuff automagically :)

Aug 20 2010 | 7:23 pm

Yes, I think this must be an order of instantiation thing. I just opened a copy of the patch that I posted recently that illustrates this problem, and to my surprise, the waveform displayed the buffer correctly – because hadn’t realised that I already had a copy of that patch open.

Try opening your patch and loading a buffer, then open a second copy – does the waveform display OK now?

In my case, I wanted two waveforms to display the same buffer, but only one was working. I’ve now got it working by putting a second delayed ‘set buffer’ & ‘0 -1 0 -1’ messages to select the whole buffer, between the two waveforms – simply delaying the first message wasn’t enough, neither would it display without the message to select the whole buffer. See below:

-- Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. --


Aug 27 2010 | 2:31 pm

hey roger, yea opening 2 copies of the patch works, weird! I want to record into each buffer live rather than load external sound files in but there’s probly a way i can use what u have there to do that, pain in the arse thi never had this problem before



Aug 27 2010 | 3:46 pm

it actually works i think, that o -1 0 -1 message makes everything display properly, have a new problem now tho! ive posted in the forum about it, i attached the outputs of the waveform to the inputs of the groove which should be ok but the patch makes max crash before it even opens!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums > MaxMSP