Forums > Max For Live

Where to best put your M4L files / dependencies?

May 20, 2013 | 1:24 pm

I find this subject rather fuzzy for M4L and I can’t seem to find any clear documentation on it.

When you develop a M4L patch with abstractions where do you put your files? On OSX I normally create a project in the default generated "Documents/Max6 Projects" folder.

I know that you can put everything in one folder or all over the place and eventually freeze it. But when you edit/unfreeze a device, since Live9, it seems to generate a folder in "Documents/Max for Live Devices" with all the project files in a subfolder names "Yourdevice Project".

Or…after unfreezing it generates a folder (not file) "Yourdevice.amxd" in that same location :S What is what, and whatfor? Unfreezing also gives me a dialog to open something, but I have no clue what it wants and just click cancel.

Is it sensible to put your development files there also? Will they collide with unfrozen devices later? Is it only for temporary storage? And how does an amxd file relate to a maxproj file? Max seem to unpack an amxd file as if it were a project but you can’t pack a maxproj into an amxd file?

Lots of questions. I hope someone has a clear answer or pointer so some docs, cause at the moment I feel like I’m freewheeling myself towards some future conflicts.

August 26, 2013 | 7:59 am

Hello,

I have been dealing with some "freezing" issues myself.
The best (and only) documentation I found was this:

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/live_dependencies.html

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/live_freezing.html

http://downloads.ableton.com/misc/maxforlive_production_guidelines.pdf

I guess a freezed device is like a zip file, a container for distribution. So when we unfreeze
a new folder is created with the contents.
One of the main difficulties is dealing with the assets of the device, databases, pictures, subfolders… etc in way that max can find them after freezing.

March 14, 2015 | 4:53 pm

I am currently struggling with this as well. I am amazed that I cannot find decent documentation for how to deal with my M4L object and dependencies, and right now it’s a confusing mess split between the bowels of my "Ableton" folder and the "Max 7" folder.

March 16, 2015 | 2:49 am

Every Max for Live device is actually a Project. When the M4L device is opened/saved, a folder (named as the device) is created in ~/Documents/Max 7/Max for Live Devices, and the dependencies of unfrozen devices are unpacked into that folder. When you freeze the device, project dependencies are then automatically bundled into the .amxd file.

Maybe you can provide some concrete devices/situations where this system is failing for you, so that we can suggest an appropriate workflow. And improve the documentation where necessary. I agree that this should not require much additional effort on the part of the device developer.

Lee
March 17, 2015 | 3:21 am

I think this problem arises if you are not using Max projects and have your sources elsewhere (at least it does for me)

So, eg., if have all my source in myfolders/lee and this is separately pathed in

i freeze a device into lee.amxd – all is fine.
i unfreeze that device and it creates a new directory under mydocuments and unpacks the code – now I have 2 copies of it and things can get confusing as to which files you are editing (the ones under mydocuments or the ones under myfolders/lee)

simple solution to this is to remove the created directory under mydocuments whenever you unfreeze your device and then you are always using the code from myfolders/lee.

i’m currently starting to use max projects more and I guess this will resolve this situation as the source and unfreeze directory should theoretically be the same at that point…

anyway, not sure if that is your situation, but if it is, there you go :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums > Max For Live