Forums > MaxMSP

why are poly subpatches locked?

February 27, 2009 | 1:43 pm

I work for the first time with poly. Creating a subpatch gave me the problem that it was locked after creating and I still have to modify it. How do we unlock subpatches under poly?

February 27, 2009 | 1:53 pm

What’s inside the poly~ object is NOT a subpatch. You’re trying to edit something for which there may be multiple instantiations (as you’d have with a bpatcher), and something that is saved as a separate patcher file. To edit what’s inside a poly, select the poly~ object, hold down the ctrl key (macintosh) and choose Open > Open Original from the contextual menu.

February 27, 2009 | 1:55 pm

You mean poly~, I guess.
To open the "in-poly" patch, I double-click on its box. It opens a view of the patch. Then, I option-click (alt-click) on the title of this window. A menu appears, I choose the name of the window. The original patch is then opened, you can unlock, edit and save. When you save, the patch in the poly~ is re-instantiated.
Jean-François.

February 27, 2009 | 2:46 pm
Jean-Francois Charles wrote on Fri, 27 February 2009 14:55
You mean poly~, I guess.
To open the "in-poly" patch, I double-click on its box. It opens a view of the patch. Then, I option-click (alt-click) on the title of this window. A menu appears, I choose the name of the window. The original patch is then opened, you can unlock, edit and save. When you save, the patch in the poly~ is re-instantiated.
Jean-François.

You can also edit one instance in place by using the Modify Read-Only command in the File menu.

February 27, 2009 | 3:52 pm

Thanks. It seems that I do not fully understand the architecture of poly. I created a poly object, inside I named it ‘picturestream 10′. When I run the patch with poly nothing inside ‘picturestream’ receives a message. When I click on the poly object, I get a ‘picturestream(1) patch, which works. So this tells me that ‘picturestream’ is not a subpatch. Does it has to be this way with poly?

While we are at this patch, I would like to send a stream of pictures to a jit.pwindow using ‘select’ connected to a counter.
When I do this, at this point two consecutive pictures cause flickr or jitter. Does someone know how to bundle pictures to stream them like a movie?

February 27, 2009 | 4:23 pm

Can you post the patches (main patch and in-poly patch).
J-F.

February 27, 2009 | 6:41 pm
Emmanuel Jourdan wrote on Fri, 27 February 2009 07:46
You can also edit one instance in place by using the Modify Read-Only command in the File menu.

What, really? I assume this is a temporary thing, and won’t be saved with the patch? This would be very useful for testing, and an absolute pain if there’s a crash.

If it’s NOT temporary… And I can’t see how it could be anything but temp, what happens when you change the number of instances in the poly~?

February 28, 2009 | 9:44 am

yes, that worked! Where do you get your ‘tricks’? Thanks

February 28, 2009 | 9:51 am

Sorry, I am not so familiar with Max5 yet. How do we save as text under 5?

February 28, 2009 | 2:50 pm

here is the ‘top patch':

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Here is the inside of poly~

here is the second inside patch

You will see that the first inside patch does not work with the patch when you load pictures but the second one does.

But nevertheless the pictures cant be streamed they flickr.
Maybe pwindow is not suitable? Maybe one has to send pictures to a buffer and stream them from there?

February 28, 2009 | 5:36 pm

You can edit one instance (with the MRO feature), and when you’re happy with the change hit File->Save this will reload each instance of poly~.

Editing abstraction, bpatchers, poly~ subpatches, pfft~ subpatches take adavantage of MRO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums > MaxMSP