Umenu behaves strangely


    Jan 01 2013 | 11:26 pm
    Hi!
    I'm using umenu to select audio files I added in a folder in the Max Msp app folder (like the examples/sounds/ folder that is used in a number of help patches. I have set the umenu on autopopulate mode. It worked fine until I reopen my patch : the umenu object has disappeared and there is just a striped box with (menu) written on it. Does anyone know why ?
    Thanks!
    [attachment=211492,4829]

    • Jan 01 2013 | 11:43 pm
      I would just open up the inspector for the [umenu] object you're using and set the folder with the audio you want there. Easier than using loadmess. Not sure why you're getting the strange striped box, though...
    • Jan 02 2013 | 12:06 am
      Thanks ! I tried it. The result is similar. I use 3 umenu objects because I have 3 categories of audiofiles, and 1 umenu would be really too long. Do you think it's because I'm using several objects? I read that the stripes are due to juibogus objects but I have no clue of the reason why they appear. It's appearently a programming error... I could perfectly insert the names of the audio files in the menu with an insert message, but I have quite a lot of files, and also, I would really like to be able to store those files in a specific folder, as my patches are quite numerous, it's for a big project, and at least I'd like to be able to have the files apart.... Do you know if there is a means to indicate a path to a subfolder to sfplay~?
      Regards
      Coralie
    • Jan 02 2013 | 12:15 am
      As far as I know, the umenu object does not support subfolders... but you can try something like this:
    • Jan 02 2013 | 12:26 am
      Perfect! Thank you so much!!
    • Jan 02 2013 | 8:00 am
      MMM Actually I still have the same problem using a subfolder...I have tried without using any subfolder, and it still didn't work. I wonder if the depth argument doesn't have anything to do with that problem. There is nothing clear about that in the help files or documentation. I have the feeling my patch is creating the problem, but I don't know why. I'll post it if it maybe of any use....
    • Jan 02 2013 | 8:41 am
      Here is the file.... There is a number of abstractions in it that I won't upload, but I guess it won't change anything to the problem. If anyone has a clue.... I'm getting desperate. You must open it in normal mode, not in presentation mode to see the umenu objects.
    • Jan 02 2013 | 9:15 am
      Hey there,
      This is what it looks like when I open your patch up. Everything seems to be working fine and there is no striped box.
      I have no clue what's going on. Hopefully somebody here with more knowledge than me can help you out.
      Hope your problem will be resolved.
      [attachment=211506,4831]
    • Jan 02 2013 | 3:47 pm
      HI,
      Well, that's really weird. I have used another solution meanwhile, with a preload message.... and it works fine. But thanks for your help anyway!