weird carnivore behaviour


    May 02 2006 | 10:46 pm
    Hi :)
    I wrote recently to the list reporting consistent crashs on opening a carnivore client patch. (http://itserve.cc.ed.nyu.edu/RSG/carnivore/) f.e. suggested i should try running the mxj example files to see if there was anything wrong with the java.
    Trying out the mxj examples has suggested, by accident I found a weird solution for the problem. If I open a mxj example, and let it run the class, before i open the carnivore file. This way max doesn't crash on opening the carnivore client patch.
    I have already sniffed a little on my school network ; ) I am sure this weird solution has a very logical explanation. Does anyone has an ideia of what's happening?
    Thanks for your time.
    Cheers,
    Ana

    • May 06 2006 | 10:15 pm
      Hi f.e., vade and list : )
      The weird carnivore behavior is solved. It was solved by upgrading Java for OS X for JS2E 5.0 release 4 (PPC) has suggested. Now carnivore is working well on mac os 10.4.6, max-msp 4.5.
      Thanks a lot for your help and shared knowledge. Cheers and all the best for this weekend.
      Ana
    • May 11 2006 | 3:04 pm
      That's pretty weird, for sure...
      But, Ana, i asked you before, in order for me to answer you : what version of Java do you use ? Max version ? OS version ?
      Anyway, connections between Carnivore client and Max thru Java aren't really safe (too much crashes to use it in an all-day-long job). Pyhton tests i made were successfull for the network part, but Max doesn't crash, it explodes litteraly because of the very very very large amout of data coming thru. So, i'll have to manage how to parse it before i could recommend you the Python solution...
      cheers
      f.e
    • May 11 2006 | 5:13 pm
      Hi,
      The Carnivore client for OS X and PC has a data rate limiter in the main window of the App, Id experiment with how much the machine can take.
      Also, you might try re-installing Java for OS X, which you can do by going to apple.com/support/downloads/ and grabbing the latest Java version. If the Installer tells you it cant install, go to /Library/ Receipts/ and delete the Java receipts. (mine are Java131and142Release2.pkg Java14Tools.pkg Java.pkg and J2SE50Release3.pkg running on OS X 10.4.6 and without the latest software update for java (JS2E 5.0 release 4).
      Maybe thats the key. It works fine for me, but havent installed J2SE 5.0 R4)
      I havent run Carnivore for a long time, but I did note that Max seemed stable even at the highest datarate, with me browsing, etc. It could very well be a bad Max/MSP preference too. Can you verify that other Java apps work fine. I saw your note that loading another MXJ works properly - very odd.
      v a d e //
      www.vade.info abstrakt.vade.info