Max 7 At A Glance
- Full support for MIDI devices and modern audio hardware
- Limitless audio options including basic DSP building blocks, VST, Audio Units, and Max for Live devices
- Flexible support for multi-channel audio
- Realtime input from webcams, digitizers, and built-in hardware
- Serial and HID support for a wide variety of electronic prototyping boards and controllers
- Interactive OpenGL graphics and GLSL shaders, including realtime shadows
- Support for multiple displays and tools for live projection
- Efficient realtime HD playback and hardware-accelerated image processing
- Transcoding and interaction between audio, video, graphics, and control data
An Intel® Mac with Mac OS X 10.7 (or later), OR a PC with Windows 7 (or later)
2 GB RAM
Broadband internet connection for installation
Quicktime recommended for Jitter programming in Windows 32-bit
Click on the thumbnails to get an overview of MIDI, MSP, Jitter, and Gen in Max.
MIDI in Max
Max is the ultimate tool for generating and manipulating MIDI data. With full support for the MIDI spec, a global transport, and all the basic building blocks to create unique music machines, control interfaces, and hardware editors.
MSP in Max
Max gives you everything from basic DSP building blocks to fully realized effects modules. It's the ultimate sonic toolkit. Create unique synths, swirling delays, and audio sampling tricks and control it all with custom LFOs, automation, and any hardware controller you can find.
Jitter in Max
Go beyond glitches and glow filters. Combine the control and automation flexibility of Max with realtime video, 3D and 2D vector graphics, and effects. Experiment with custom routings, feedback, and interaction with audio signals.
Gen in Max
Wrench the nuts and bolts of audio and video processing with Gen. Gen combines the familiar visual patching environment of Max with the power of realtime code generation and just-in-time compiling of efficient code. Gen can also export working C++ DSP code and GLSL shaders for image processing.
Will installing Max 7 cause trouble with my earlier Max versions?
Installing Max 7 or greater will not affect installations of Max 6.1.9 and lower. However, it will overwrite any currently installed versions of Max that are 7 or greater.
Is there a separate runtime installer?
No. You can run, edit and save Max patches for the first 30 days. After 30 days, you can still run and edit Max patches, but you cannot save your changes without a purchased authorization.
Will Max 7 work inside of Live 9 Max for Live?
Where can I get more information on the 64-bit application?
What if the download button doesn't work for me?
Users in some territories are not able to download Max from our website. If you are experiencing problems with a download, get in touch with support.
There has never been anything Max was unwilling to let me try.
Sue-C, Handmade Visuals Artist and Performer
I feel like Max is such a good tool for the people that don't know much about programming and yet still want to have control over the code for their project.
Andrew Spitz, Interaction Designer
View a list of our resellers