gen~ Tutorial Series for Beginners
There has been a lot of wonderful activity in the Gen domain, and we would like even more people to experience the differences between Max and Gen programming. I originally created a set of three videos developed in Max 6 for the curious absolute beginner. Using Max 7, I developed a series of text-based "Getting Started" tutorials. (These replace the first Max 6 video which was no longer useful.) The text and video tutorials introduce the gen~ environment, explain a bit of the differences between working in the Max vs. gen~ environment, and include a few simple programs to get you started. Check them out below! Note to Ableton Live 9/10 Suite users: Access to Gen requires a full Max license. Get details on crossgrading!
- gen~ for Beginners, Part 1: A Place to Start
- gen~ for Beginners, Part 2: Similarities and Differences
- gen~ for Beginners, Part 3: Counting, and a World without bang Messages
- gen~ for Beginners, Part 4: Working with buffers (and data)
- gen~ for Beginners, Part 5: The Codebox Operator
- gen~ for Beginners, Part 6: Thinking Inside the Codebox
- gen~ for Beginners, Part 7: Creating Reusable Tools
The Next Steps
Try It Yourself
If you're ready to do even more in Gen, follow our Gen Patch-a-Day series.
by Gregory Taylor on
Jul 29, 2013 3:16 PM