Disabling scheduler stopping
Apr 12 2020 | 5:53 am
- Apr 12 2020 | 7:25 ammaxpreferences.maxpref is actually simple JSON formated text file. Have a look inside to see what different settings are named. Depending on Max version, there are differences. Message below does what you want at least till max 7 I don't use max 8, but if you see this line : "disableschedstop" : 0, in the preferences file, than it should work.
- Apr 12 2020 | 8:20 am@SOURCE AUDIO Thank you, this info would be extremely helpful if it could work in Max 8. I have both 7 and 8 installed, and as you said, it does work in Max 7. Unfortunately it doesn't work in Max 8. I wonder why.
- Apr 12 2020 | 9:23 amI just copied Max 8.1.0 on one of my hackintosh and can confirm that message sets the param in max preferences, as well that it prevents stoping the scheduler. The Stop Scheduler remains unactive in the edit menu. It just needed Max restart.If you compare this 2 pages : https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignettes/menucommands https://docs.cycling74.com/max7/vignettes/menucommandsin max 7 it does not even mention : "Choosing Stop Scheduler will halt the scheduler when it is running." in Max 8 it does There are too many undocumented changes, differences, leftovers between several max versions, I don't think that involved programmers really know all about it.I really dislike all this auto shit in new versions, it wants to database my hd, download some packages that i don't want at all, scan pugins, that I don't need and want, etc etc. To really use Max 8 I'd have remove a good part of it, starting with CEF framework
- Apr 12 2020 | 1:24 pmYes, in Max 8 it works for the future runs, whereas in Max 7 it works instantly.
- Apr 12 2020 | 3:20 pmI don't know if it is OS issue, but for me it works instantly in max 8.1.3 as well I tested it on 10.13.6 I tried small standalone - it works too. Funny - standalone built with 8.1.3 did suffer system security restrictions, I had no time or patience to look after it, just dropped max 8.1 executable instead in the app bundle and then it worked. Didn't even complain about wrong version.
- Apr 13 2020 | 3:33 amIt may be OS related; you are using High Sierra and I'm using Mojave, both 8.1.3.Speaking of insufficient documentation (which I strongly agree), though there are examples for adding menu items using [menubar], I haven't seen much explanation on how to remove existing items, especially on the File and Edit menus. Do you know how to remove "Stop Scheduler" from the menu as well?
- Apr 13 2020 | 7:27 amthere is menubar object for customising menu. In older max versions at least on Mac one could remove standard max menu items using it. Next option is to modifiy maxinterfaces.json file.I actually remove it from standalones, I don't need any menu items. Some shortcuts still work even if being removed, I don't know much about max 8, but it is there to look.Main culprit is to disable command-quit , which I tend to do on standalones, in order to have controlled max exit. For that one can set custom shortcut in the system- keyboard preferences, for that standalone, replacing command-q with something else. here a screenshot of minimal max 8.1.3 standalone:just to test shell on osx, size only 16.5 MB
- Apr 13 2020 | 10:25 amThanks, for understanding better, if you let me set my message as below: >>there is menubar object for customising menu. Yes indeed, I was trying to ask how to script it to remove items. >>Next option is to modifiy maxinterfaces.json file. I looked for 1 hour, and couldn't find that file. (Also, "Spotlight Search" never finds such files, don't know why!) Could you please write its exact location on Mac HD? You know, the standalone app is supposed to run on the user's computer with whatever settings they have, so will it help with that?>>I actually remove it from standalones, I don't need any menu items. Exactly! I don't need any menu items on the standalone either. There were commands like "nomenu" to send to thispatcher. Are you talking about those?>>...size only 16.5 MB It's an unreachable compactness for my apps, because at least I'm also using JS and Node.js which are, if I'm not mistaken, depending on the CEF support. (Node.js became very indispensible esp with the upgrades in Max 8.1.2 -- and I'm even using it locally.)
- Apr 13 2020 | 11:09 amIn max 8 usage of menubar item is limited. As I said, in older max versions it could remove default items, in Max 8 it does not. Read the help and reference for Max version of interest. sorry, I have mistyped maxinterface, it is correctly: maxinterface.json and resides in interfaces folder: In Max.app/Contents/Resources/C74/interfaces/ In standalone it is in xxx.app/Contents/support/interfaces/ Simply delete it and the menu is gone, apart from About... and quit -------- nomenu message to this patcher is windows-only. ; max hidemenubar message is the one to hide menu and Dock on Mac. ; max showmenubar reverts it. The comment about size of that example standalone was just to show that one can remove bunch of unneeded stuff and still have functioning app.
- Apr 13 2020 | 3:00 pmThank you very much for the superb outline!