Generating Sound & Organizing Time issue in chapter 2 last patch.
Nov 21 2022 | 9:48 pm
I think I found something strange in the last patch from the second chapter an I’d like to discuss it to see if it is only me..
In the 3th outlet from gen (merged shapes), if I mess with the “shape” and "skew" params, it falls out of 0 - 1 range by very high values witch is strange because it gets out of a go.ramp_div with a wrap 0. 1.
Can anyone explain to me why and how to solve it?
Thanks in advance.
- 👽R∆J∆ The Resident ∆lien👽Nov 22 2022 | 4:20 amHey Fabio 👋 🙌 can't seem to reproduce here, stays wrapped between 0 and 1 for me(?) maybe you can take a screenshot of the exact parameter settings for the whole patch when you run into this problem, and folks can try those exact settings to repro?
- Gregory TaylorNov 22 2022 | 6:10 amMy sentiments precisely. Unless we have a bit more information, it's going to be difficult to guess what the problem might be if our attempts to reproduce the report don't have the same result. Fabio, can you help us?
- Fábio SantosNov 22 2022 | 8:38 pmHi, here's a video where I slowly start by changing the "shape2" parameter.
- 👽R∆J∆ The Resident ∆lien👽Nov 23 2022 | 5:44 amoh damn, ya, looks like it goes way off in the vid... i still can't reproduce here though...you could try grabbing a fresh copy of the patches and try again just in case there's something unexpectedly changed/unique about your copies, but since i can't seem to repro, i'll let others test and chime in from here.hope ya figure it out 🍻
- Fábio SantosNov 23 2022 | 7:50 amI asked on Facebook and Discord and there were more people with the patch having the same behavior..I think I’ll try what you suggest.
- 👽R∆J∆ The Resident ∆lien👽Nov 24 2022 | 8:00 amOh, I just got this behavior! I decided to try this out on my Windows10 PC. hadn't used it in awhile, Max was still at 8.1.11... i downloaded the GO patches, tried that patch out, i got the problem slowly scrolling closer back to 1. on the 'shape2' parameter after scrolling it all the way to 0., then decided to update my version of Max to the current version 8.5.1, tried the same exact steps above, and i get the same problem(...perhaps it's specific to Windows because i don't have this problem on my Mac(?))anyways, just sharing the new info. here(may be good to start gathering people's system specs who run into this prob(both max version and OS), then with a few cases, send it on to support, unless you've already heard from em).Good find :)
- chapelier fouNov 24 2022 | 3:49 pmI'm a bit ashamed, but where the hell can you download the patches ? I've bought the book, but I couldn't find the patches, or anything related to how to download them in the book. What did I miss ?
- 👽R∆J∆ The Resident ∆lien👽Nov 24 2022 | 4:04 pm
What did I miss ?The link is in Chapter 1(in my paperback edition it's on page 3)... it's sort of a short url, easy to miss(but near the end of the section titled, "Using this book(and the software that comes with it)").
- chapelier fouNov 24 2022 | 7:11 pmThank you ! I totally missed it, and have been looking for it without luck. It could be stated more clearly in my opinion.
- WetterbergNov 24 2022 | 7:19 pmThis book will be my christmas present to myself. I love working in gen~, but for some time now I've been very "patch of least resistance", so I'll build it in reg. max, since I'm faster there.
- Fábio SantosNov 24 2022 | 10:07 pmHere's my system specs. Max is updated and my audio Driver in Max is a Motu mk 5.It's funny, if I update the [out 3] object, the ranges came back to 0. 1..Edit: I’m not on my computer now but it’s probably because it updates the [gen~] object.
- Fábio SantosNov 26 2022 | 6:37 pmGiven the time passed with no solutions, I’ll ask for Cycling’s suporte. I‘ll report here any useful update.
- 👽R∆J∆ The Resident ∆lien👽Nov 26 2022 | 8:33 pmsounds good, Fabio. (if you didn't already, i'd suggest maybe waiting til Tuesday, as this weekend is Thanksgiving in the US, maybe folks will see this more starting Monday(?)... but no worries overall, this seems like it's definitely unexpected/undesirable behavior)here's my system specs(since it's audio-specific i just gave this much but if you need more let me know) - was running 'ad_mme' for the driver, no special I/O just 'speakers/headphones(realtek(r))':...and (although i first saw it with my Max out-of-date at version 8.1.11), i also see this issue in the current version for max on my windows machine: Max8.5.1 ..i still don't find this issue at all on my Mac, which is also running the current version of Max, and is at MacOS12.4(Monterey - running just CoreAudio(built-in through speakers) for the driver)
- Fábio SantosNov 26 2022 | 9:45 pmThanks a lot, I’ll wait till Tuesday. I hope they can fix it, it’s such a cool feature.