Max 8 groups crash in bpatcher
Oct 05 2018 | 3:54 pm
I am working on my first project in Max 8 using the MC Wrapper. Occasionally I experience crashes of Max 8, when I am opening a nested [bpatcher] (loaded as abstraction) that make use of MC audio. I am not able to reproduce this reliably, hence it's too early for a bug report.
That it is related to MC signal is a (educated ;) ) guess.
Anyone experiencing the same? Maybe we can narrow it down. My setup:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) macOs HighSierra 10.13.6 Max 8.0.0
- Oct 05 2018 | 5:02 pmwhen this happens you should probably save the crash log. that would probably be helpful
- Oct 06 2018 | 6:56 amHere it is. I only post the stack of the crashed thread here (not to mess up the forum). The full report is inside the attached file.The crash report seems to indicate that there are grouped object inside the bpatcher or the bpatcher is part of an object group. But this is not the case.Time Awake Since Boot: 1200 secondsSystem Integrity Protection: enabledCrashed Thread: 0 CrBrowserMain Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-threadException Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000150 Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFYTermination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11 Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb Terminating Process: exc handler VM Regions Near 0x150: --> __TEXT 0000000102797000-000000010326b000 [ 10.8M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Max.app/Contents/MacOS/MaxThread 0 Crashed:: CrBrowserMain Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 0 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001027d56bb jboxgroup_findcomponentforpatcherview(BoxGroupComponent*, object*) + 21 1 com.cycling74.Max 0x000000010285b0e7 linklist_findfirst + 94 2 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001027d5704 jboxgroup_componentforpatcherview(_jboxgroup*, object*) + 53 3 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001027d5741 jboxgroup_updaterect + 51 4 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001027d587d jboxgroup_show + 29 5 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001027d6fe0 jboxgroup_attach_patcherview + 121 6 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a2a05c patcherview_new(symbol*, long, atom*) + 1938 7 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001027d7f64 typedmess_fun + 374 8 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001028c0e8f object_new_typed_flags + 135 9 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001029b1886 jpatcher_getboxview + 101 10 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001028bec07 object_method_imp + 353 11 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102b01fc0 jboxview_internal_newpatcherview + 153 12 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a07e1e PatcherComponent::boxnotify_newobject(object*) + 312 13 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a38317 patcherview_init(_patcherview*) + 33 14 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a2a03d patcherview_new(symbol*, long, atom*) + 1907 15 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001027d7f64 typedmess_fun + 374 16 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001028c0e8f object_new_typed_flags + 135 17 com.cycling74.Max 0x000000010294f261 jbpatcher_contextmenu(_jbpatcher*, long*, symbol**) + 382 18 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001028bec07 object_method_imp + 353 19 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a30034 patcherview_clientcontext(_patcherview*, symbol*, long, atom*) + 156 20 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001028ee993 object_handlecommand + 81 21 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a34c4a patcherview_command(_patcherview*, symbol*, long, atom*, atom*) + 203 22 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001028c1d10 object_method_typedfun + 97 23 com.cycling74.Max 0x000000010298cd89 jmenuitem_process + 546 24 com.cycling74.Max 0x000000010298cb4f jmenu_process + 140 25 com.cycling74.Max 0x000000010298ee1f jmenu_popup + 251 26 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a2c260 patcherview_popupmenu(_patcherview*, t_jmenu*, int, int) + 62 27 com.cycling74.Max 0x00000001028bec07 object_method_imp + 353 28 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a0e46f PatcherComponent::boxContextualMenu(juce::MouseEvent const&) + 177 29 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102a0878d PatcherComponent::mouseUp(juce::MouseEvent const&, BoxComponent*) + 991 30 com.cycling74.Max 0x000000010292163e BoxComponent::mouseUp(juce::MouseEvent const&) + 240 31 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102e9be3a juce::MouseInputSourceInternal::setButtons(juce::Point<float>, juce::Time, juce::ModifierKeys) + 1770 32 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102ea6e2c juce::ComponentPeer::handleMouseEvent(juce::MouseInputSource::InputSourceType, juce::Point<float>, juce::ModifierKeys, float, float, long long, juce::PenDetails, int) + 860 33 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102ea6a2a juce::NSViewComponentPeer::sendMouseEvent(NSEvent*) + 314 34 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102ea07c0 juce::JuceNSViewClass::mouseUp(objc_object*, objc_selector*, NSEvent*) + 128 35 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff533f3e0a -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 3453 36 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff533f2c70 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) sendEvent:] + 497 37 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff53254236 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) sendEvent:] + 2462 38 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102b1fffd -[MaxCefApplication sendEvent:] + 118 39 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff52ab48b5 -[NSApplication run] + 812 40 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102b1ff4d -[MaxCefApplication run] + 77 41 org.chromium.ContentShell.framework 0x000000010b62f0dc 0x109771000 + 32235740 42 org.chromium.ContentShell.framework 0x000000010b62ddbe 0x109771000 + 32230846 43 org.chromium.ContentShell.framework 0x000000010b64cdc5 0x109771000 + 32357829 44 org.chromium.ContentShell.framework 0x000000010b3504af 0x109771000 + 29226159 45 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102b2894a MaxCefEventLoopHandler::runMessageLoop() + 18 46 com.cycling74.Max 0x0000000102d9b59b juce::JUCEApplicationBase::main(int, char const**) + 251 47 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff7d367015 start + 1
- Oct 06 2018 | 7:44 amOne more information. During the working process I did group some objects and ungroup them later. But the crash happens also when opening/saving [bpatchers] that do not contain formerly grouped objects. Anyone experiencing the same?
- Oct 06 2018 | 7:31 pmThe crash is definitely in grouping code; if you can figure out a way to reproduce, send it along to support, please.
- Oct 07 2018 | 4:25 amHi Jemery. My max 8 is crashing too when copying and pasting the curve on functions. Im on windows 10, last update (i think), envy hp 15 j106la.Try this:
- Oct 08 2018 | 8:52 am@Jeremy: I found that there still were some grouped objects inside (nested) [bpatchers]. After ungrouping them - so far - it didn't crash anymore. I hope that later this week i'll have time to do some more systematic investigation and report back to support.
- Oct 08 2018 | 9:05 amThanks @JAN, please send it along once you've isolated it.
- Oct 08 2018 | 9:08 am@STGO DDV please don't hijack threads -- if you have found a reproducible crash, the best thing to do is contact support (or start your own thread here in the forum). I cannot reproduce this crash on an OSX system, FWIW, although I can reproduce a crash on close after following your steps. I can investigate, thank you.
- Oct 08 2018 | 3:34 pmOk Jeremy. As the title of the forum is vagely "Help to identify bugs" i thought it was precisely that, namely help to identify any type of bug crashes. I'll send that bug to support! Thank you for trying to reproduce.
- Oct 08 2018 | 3:36 pm@STGO DDV, I found a bug in the function copy/paste code and it's already fixed, but yes, please drop a note to support so they can track it as well. You can reference ticket #12498. Thanks, Jeremy
- Oct 08 2018 | 3:46 pmThat's great. I've already sended a message to support. Thanks 4 ur help.
- Oct 08 2018 | 3:49 pmRenamed the thread to be less generic. Thanks!
- Jun 22 2019 | 3:49 pmI just experienced the same. I had a bpatcher that I have used for more than a year and it started crashing as soon as I left a some groups active. I got rid of them and voi-lá, everything is working now.