Route + Counter
Sep 20 2021 | 3:04 pm
I have a counter that goes 1 to 12 I can route it on multiple route. That create like a step sequencer of value. It's ok when I use multiplier like 6, 4, 3, 2, but now I wish to do it with 9 and the commun multiplier with 12 is 108. So I get 108 out of my route. And I'm pretty that there's a smarter way to achieve this, like a repeat function or ... ?
- Sep 20 2021 | 3:41 pmi dont fully understand question but maybe try this: you could work with complex numbers for a while, i.e. send individual integers for the step number and the factor or column or whatever that is, route them individually, and combine them as late as possible.
- Sep 20 2021 | 3:46 pmThis what is connected to my counter I thought it will cyclically repeat the 5 steps pattern
- Sep 20 2021 | 3:52 pmI can't see the image you posted... can you send us your patch instead (select everything in your patch, use "Copy Compressed" function in Max "Edit" menu, paste it into the forum)?
- Sep 20 2021 | 3:55 pmThis was my "plastic duck effect" I replaced my route 12 by cycle 5 !!! thank you !!
- Sep 20 2021 | 4:00 pmHaha... I'm a proud owner of 4 plastic ducks: 2 in my atelier, 2 in bathroom. All of them have already heard many strange stories from me ...
- Sep 20 2021 | 4:02 pmif they could speak ...
- Sep 20 2021 | 4:03 pmhopefully not !
- Sep 20 2021 | 4:39 pm[cycle] means your sequencer will never jump to another position or run backwards. it also means you could replace counter with metro.
- Sep 20 2021 | 5:18 pmI didn't thought for backwards run - so this is not my solution :/ now I don't know where to go ?!
- Sep 20 2021 | 9:55 pmin older max versions cycle could not even be reset to 0; counter and route was allright and you should keep that. for suggestions we really needed to see the patch in the one or other form.
- Sep 20 2021 | 9:58 pmThis is a part of the patch To use the cycle I did three patcher one for each direction (fwd, rwd, fwd-rwd) It working but if there is a better way to achieve this I like to know (to learn and improve)
- Sep 21 2021 | 12:59 amusing a parallel instance for reversed and palindrome mode is a legit option. while i have not really checked the details... and it probably works like that... there is for sure an even more elegant way how to generate that kind of output. for example you could assign 1, 2, 3 to the sectors and multiply the sector number with 30 degree only at the very output. 1, 2, 3 might have advantages for certain math and routing tasks. eventually you could also process things as list. have a look into funnel, listfunnel and spray and see if that kind of stuff can replace parts of the patch. it will not be better, but it will be different and that can activate other regions in the brain and then magic things can happen.
- Sep 21 2021 | 9:17 amSectors could be a good way, well I saved one operation Listfunnel + Coll could be a solution but I didn't managed to create a loop of 12 with a list of 5 for e.g Thank you for the brainstorming !
- Sep 21 2021 | 10:06 amHmmm... it seems to be something relatively simple achieved with a bit complicated methods.Here is a simple example how to create a circular numeric pattern from any clock source (with reverse):And here is a simple and safe method to extract a value from a list (less routing):Hope this will help, especially compiled with remarks from Roman.
- Sep 21 2021 | 10:53 amOk I learnt new things with your patch I tried to add both in one, but I get similar result that I got before for e.g with a list of 5 steps 1, 3, 5, 8, 10. The sequence is 1,3,5,8,10, 1,3,5,8,10, 1,3, 1,3,5,8,10
- Sep 21 2021 | 12:28 pmI think, it's a kind of the "duck situation" here, as I'm not sure what behaviour you want to build. Can you describe the desired behaviour? It is also always a good idea to post a patch (with comments).
- Sep 21 2021 | 12:35 pmI'm making a patch to use with spat revolution in which I use a 12.1 configuration The patch allows me to set for a source a sequence based on geometric figure (hexagon, dodecagon ...) So the source will follow the path of my shape. at least the point position base on polar system. All worked fine with polygon with 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12 but the problem appeared when I wanted to implement pentagon heptagon ... as 5 is not a 12 divider. So I wish to create a simple loop of 5 steps with e.g 1,3,5,8,10 but running on 12. I used counte because of the 3 play options (fwd, bck, back and forward)
- Sep 21 2021 | 12:57 pmIs it something like that?
- Sep 21 2021 | 1:06 pmahah this is so much simpler than what I did. I hope to get that skill with max ... maybe in few years thank you I will integrate it in my patch - I loose the forward backward loop but no matter.
- Sep 21 2021 | 1:50 pmSorry... this ping-pong mode ("pendulum")... I think, this should be something like that:Use [umenu] to change playing mode (normal, backward, pendulum).
- Sep 21 2021 | 7:27 pmThank you for your solution I implemented it - some parts are still a bit mysterious, especially the pendulum.
- Sep 21 2021 | 9:12 pma bit different construct
- Sep 21 2021 | 9:48 pmwow this solution is much simpler ?! I combined it with my patch (color patch is a game) Thank to all - great community !