Max crashes the second I turn on the audio on MBP
I have no clue what’s going on. I recently got a new rMBP running Mountain Lion (previously used a 2011 iMac with Lion). I transferred all of my applications and files to my new Macbook through Migration Assistant. When I opened Max on my Macbook, the logo would appear in the dock however the program would never actually open. Since that was an early version of Max 6 I decided to update Max to 6.1.3. Now Max can open patches and create patches fine. But as soon as I turn on the audio, I get the "Max quit unexpectedly" error.
Specifically, I am talking about the patch from here:
All five parts in the above series cannot be turned on without Max crashing. The crash happens no matter which Driver I select in Audio Status. Right now all I am trying to do is to get the audio to play through the computers’ onboard speakers with the "ad_portaudio Core Audio" driver.
Also of note, when I create a new simple patcher from scratch with a cycle~ into a dac~ everything works fine. Then if I open the Guitar Processor patch after turning on the audio output in the cycle~ patch, as soon as the Guitar Processor patch loads, Max crashes.
I am really lost here and I am relatively new to Max. I never had any problems like this on my iMac. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thank you in advance.
This looks like a legit bug…..
I have the same problem on my system.
MBP OS X 10.8.3
Yup. That seems to have fixed the problem. No more crash when turning on the DAC.
The new wave~ object should replace the one in the
Max/Cycling '74/msp-external folder.
I have a problem with Max 6.1.3 crashing (now updated to 6.1.5 and it continues to crash) if I dare to use spigot~. I keep removing things from the patcher, and I’ve got it down to a jit.qt.movie and "spigot~ foo". If I send "soc foo" message to the jit.qt.movie I get the beachball. Sometimes I can send a "soc" message to it quickly and it pulls out, but usually I have to forcequit Max.
I had been running Mac OS 10.6.8 with Max 6.1.3. I updated to 6.1.5 in the hopes it would resolve the problem but it remained the same. Finally, I updated the Mac OS to 10.8.5 (I hate updating…) but it still has the same problem. I checked that Max is launching in 32 bit mode, I’ve cleaned, run safe-boot, restarted,..
I don’t have any other ideas.
2009 MBP 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Forums > MaxMSP