Mac 10.9 Mavericks Support
Oct 22 2013 | 7:11 pm
Max 6 users are advised to NOT update to Mavericks at this stage. We have found a problem with audio which results in crashing when switching audio on. This will be addressed in a forthcoming Max application update which we shall endeavor to release as soon as possible.
At this point, our testing shows that Live 9/Max 6 based MFL is working fine.
If you have any information for us regarding Mac 10.9 support , please email it to
- Oct 22 2013 | 7:33 pmI've been running the GM of mavericks for a while now with Max, let me know if you need help testing specific things !
- Oct 23 2013 | 4:49 pmIs it too much arm-twisting if I ask when? I happened to (stupidly) upgrade without checking the forums first... If it's gonna take about a week, I will not bother to downgrade since I am so much happier with Mavericks and too keep away for a while from Max will also clean my head a bit (Yes I am a Max addict). But if it seems like it'll take quite a while, I need to go back to the mountains since I've got some projects with a deadline coming in a couple of weeks.t.
- Oct 23 2013 | 4:53 pmWe can't commit to a release date, because we want to make sure we get this as good as possible for 10.9, but we're thinking days rather than weeks.You should be able to get by on 10.9, just don't try switching audio on and off too fast or changing drivers or DSP settings on the fly.Cheers
- Oct 23 2013 | 6:01 pmWill Live 8/Max 6.0.8 get/need an update?
- Oct 23 2013 | 6:24 pmWe haven't seen any problems with Max for Live, so Live 8/Max 6.08 should be cool.Please let us know if you find otherwise-A
- Oct 23 2013 | 10:41 pmtempted to jump, reading Andrew's word :)
- Oct 24 2013 | 2:12 amplease DO NOT jump. read my words.
- Oct 24 2013 | 5:18 amFinally Mavericks has arrived!
- Oct 24 2013 | 10:45 amHello, for me is now impossible to use Max6 in Mac Os X, every time I open the program, It crashes immediately.
- Oct 24 2013 | 12:38 pmWhat about Max4 and Max5 under X.9? Did somebody try already?p
- Oct 24 2013 | 1:32 pmMax 5 seems to work just fine in X.9 (no crash when turning audio on :-)
- Oct 24 2013 | 2:01 pmNo problems for me, MacBook Pro 13" 2010
- Oct 24 2013 | 2:12 pmMax 5.1.9 works perfectly fine on Mavericks
- Oct 24 2013 | 2:47 pm@Luis SanzSounds like a prefs problem. If you don't know how to fix that, please send an email into support with your OS detailsCheers-A
- Oct 24 2013 | 4:24 pmJust so you know, Under Mavericks, Max crashes when I try to edit a bpatcher.- Crash with Max 6.1.4 and 6.1.3 - Works fine with 6.1.2So using MAX 6.1.2 is my solution for now.
- Oct 24 2013 | 6:12 pmHow can I get 6.1.2 in the mean time? I don't see download links for older versions...
- Oct 24 2013 | 8:14 pmhi , on Max 6.1.4when i open a patcher a 3d setuptell me "to open Max you need a Java se 6 runtime" and ask me if i'd like instal now ?what do ?
- Oct 24 2013 | 10:25 pm@LuxiInstall it. It is likely that you are using Jitter.Cheers-A
- Oct 24 2013 | 11:29 pmBTW, if you are experiencing crashes, please email details including crash reports email@example.comThanks-A
- Oct 25 2013 | 7:47 pmjust to be specific. for me the case is that I cannot even turn on the audio
- Oct 26 2013 | 4:49 amIn the Max window at startup: No midi driver folder or default driver?!
- Oct 27 2013 | 11:05 am
- Oct 27 2013 | 11:06 amjit.gl.hap crash when loading HAP compressed movie
- Oct 27 2013 | 4:59 pm
- Oct 28 2013 | 8:46 amI know 6.1.4 went out some days ago, but I really hope cycling74 updates Max to solve this in a matter of days and doesn't wait until the release of the next, regular, update.If we can help testing a beta please let us know.
- Oct 28 2013 | 10:37 am@YOANN thanks!!
- Oct 30 2013 | 10:48 amunder 10.8 and 10.9:[vst~] when receiving "write" msg complains"write: requires preset name"instead of opening dialog window
- Oct 30 2013 | 1:16 pmHi all,To supplement the previous posts about Java, and if someone encounters the same problems: after (too quickly, I should have red this post first) upgrading to Mavericks, I had two problems:. Max5 didn't launch at all, the console gave me: 30/10/2013 13:54:22,858 com.apple.launchd.peruser.503: (com.cycling74.Max.39632) Exited with code: 97. Max6 launched, but jitter made it crash, with a similar error message"Exited with code: 97" means that the JVM is missing. I had indeed once a fugacious about Max requiring Java and asking me to upgrade, but it did not. Mavericks has a known bug requiring this automatic installation of Java (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19533528/installing-java-on-osx-10-9-mavericks). You need to install Java manually, but Java 6 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572) as installing only Java 7 seems to be useless for Max.Now Max5 starts, and Max6 loads Jitter. I have indeed the bug (spinning wheel), if I switch on and off the DAC too quickly, but at the moment I can live with it. Downgrading to Mountain Lion seems to be a real pain, so I prefer to avoid it, and to wait for the next minor update of Max6.
- Nov 01 2013 | 2:07 amit seems like it's gonna take 'weeks' though :(
- Nov 03 2013 | 12:21 pmJust updated to Mavericks. Running Max 6.1.2.Max crashes any time I hold "alt/option" and hover over a selected patch-cord. Crashes before displaying the "+" icon.Anyone else finding a similar problem?
- Nov 03 2013 | 3:49 pm@JEREMYSTEWART87 yes, this is known and fixed for the next incremental.
- Nov 04 2013 | 9:47 amDon't know if it's related but a friend of mine who just upgraded couldn't launch a standalone video player I made for him, even after installing max runtime. It seems he gets a "no application to open this" message.
- Nov 04 2013 | 3:31 pmHi, I'm ready to commit suicide. When will there be an update to get MAX back to life under Mavericks? Thanks.. N
- Nov 04 2013 | 10:58 pmHey all,I've also just installed Max on my new Macbook Pro (Retina, late 2013 model) and the jit.grab and jit.qt.grab functions don't seem to be working (error code 9403).Is this a known Mavericks bug, or could it be system related?
- Nov 05 2013 | 5:35 pm
- Nov 05 2013 | 11:37 pm@Stephane:I would not be suprised that your problem with the video player not starting on Mavericks is due to the absence of Java. Ask your friend to double-Check with the OsX Console and see there are any messages that match the one I posted earlier for this topic.Alexis
- Nov 06 2013 | 4:54 amHi. I just installed 6.1.5 and jit.grab and jit.qt.grab still don't work:jit.qt.grab: could not create video channel -9405 jit.qt.grab: error opening device for grab.This is using Max for Live in Live 9.1 beta.Also, I don't know if it's a Mavericks issue but I just upgraded to a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with Nvidia GPU, and Max's OpenGL Status says version 2.1 and GLSL version 1.20. Doesn't Mavericks support OpenGL version 4.1? I figured that with the new hardware and OS I could finally try out all the V-Module shaders that require a higher GLSL version.
- Nov 08 2013 | 9:44 am@AndrewI hope you've receive and read my last sent emails,what is now the actual status to get proper working with Mavericks?at this time, I've not order yet my next computermachine (MB Pro 13"), because unfortunately some sellers and distributors told to me that the newer models are not equipped with ML 10.8 (and the other point is under the several ultrabooks, none of these machines are equipped with thunderbolt (except the older acer 5 ub?))let me know, if the signal is set to "green" for Max/Msp 6 and 10.9 or if you have other suggestionsTSt
- Nov 08 2013 | 10:10 am@CODY GARNER here I am exposing the same issue with jit.qt.grab (and kinect related objects as well)I does not seems a mavericks issue but maxMSP with the late 2013 Retina Macbook pros
- Nov 10 2013 | 1:33 pm
- Jan 16 2014 | 11:22 pmHey AllI'm running Mavericks and Max 6.1.3 on a 12 month student licence and i'm having the issue with max crashing every time i turn on the audio. Is there currently an update that can fix this and will I need to purchase it again or will the download work with my existing licence?Thanks
- Jan 17 2014 | 7:53 amTry to update to Max 6.1.6, it's free.p
- Jan 17 2014 | 10:26 amIs there a list of known issues with 10.9 using 6.1.6?I occasionally have max crashing, just editing patches. (Nothing specific unfortunately - though one did seem to keep reoccurring when editing comment of outlets in inspector)Crash logs show it's in juce main thread. Should I send these reports somewhere?Feature request: can we please have some kind of auto save/recovery. I've lost count of the number of times I've lost 15 mins of work due to a crash.Thanks Mark Ps I've only just started using max 'in anger' , so may be unrelated to 10.9/6.1.6 - though it does seem a little less stable.
- Feb 09 2014 | 9:01 pmJust thought I'd mention that I have been running Mavericks 10.9.1 with 32-bit Max 6.1.6 on a core i7 MBP with no problems at all. A friend is running a beta version of 32-bit Max 6.1.7 with no problems either... In fact, I have actually noticed general improvements in system performance since changing (faster startup & load times, etc).ymmv
- Feb 18 2014 | 9:58 amMavericks is A okay on my system, I'd dare say it even seems to be running smoother ;-)
- Jul 11 2014 | 10:34 pmDid SoundFlower break on anyone else since updating to Mavericks 10.9.4? It was working fine before I updated yesterday, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced issues.
- Jul 15 2014 | 2:37 pmSame using MAC OS 10.9.4 is causing me issues, it seems to have knocked out my sound output.I did contact support but they say they aren't updating Soundflower anymore which is a shame, I was looking for another product but nothing seems to match up to this one..Dan
- Jul 16 2014 | 4:06 amI try to update to Max 6.1.6, sucsess