Mac 10.9 Mavericks Support
Max 6 users are advised to NOT update to Mavericks at this stage. We have found a problem with audio which results in crashing when switching audio on. This will be addressed in a forthcoming Max application update which we shall endeavor to release as soon as possible.
At this point, our testing shows that Live 9/Max 6 based MFL is working fine.
If you have any information for us regarding Mac 10.9 support , please email it to
I’ve been running the GM of mavericks for a while now with Max, let me know if you need help testing specific things !
Is it too much arm-twisting if I ask when? I happened to (stupidly) upgrade without checking the forums first… If it’s gonna take about a week, I will not bother to downgrade since I am so much happier with Mavericks and too keep away for a while from Max will also clean my head a bit (Yes I am a Max addict). But if it seems like it’ll take quite a while, I need to go back to the mountains since I’ve got some projects with a deadline coming in a couple of weeks.
We can’t commit to a release date, because we want to make sure we get this as good as possible for 10.9, but we’re thinking days rather than weeks.
You should be able to get by on 10.9, just don’t try switching audio on and off too fast or changing drivers or DSP settings on the fly.
Will Live 8/Max 6.0.8 get/need an update?
We haven’t seen any problems with Max for Live, so Live 8/Max 6.08 should be cool.
Please let us know if you find otherwise
tempted to jump, reading Andrew’s word :)
please DO NOT jump. read my words.
Finally Mavericks has arrived!
for me is now impossible to use Max6 in Mac Os X, every time I open the program, It crashes immediately.
What about Max4 and Max5 under X.9? Did somebody try already?
Max 5 seems to work just fine in X.9 (no crash when turning audio on :-)
No problems for me, MacBook Pro 13" 2010
Max 5.1.9 works perfectly fine on Mavericks
Just so you know, Under Mavericks, Max crashes when I try to edit a bpatcher.
– Crash with Max 6.1.4 and 6.1.3
– Works fine with 6.1.2
So using MAX 6.1.2 is my solution for now.
How can I get 6.1.2 in the mean time? I don’t see download links for older versions…
hi , on Max 6.1.4
when i open a patcher a 3d setup
tell me "to open Max you need a Java se 6 runtime"
and ask me if i’d like instal now ?
what do ?
just to be specific. for me the case is that I cannot even turn on the audio
In the Max window at startup: No midi driver folder or default driver?!
jit.gl.hap crash when loading HAP compressed movie
I know 6.1.4 went out some days ago, but I really hope cycling74 updates Max to solve this in a matter of days and doesn’t wait until the release of the next, regular, update.
If we can help testing a beta please let us know.
under 10.8 and 10.9:
[vst~] when receiving "write" msg complains
"write: requires preset name"
instead of opening dialog window
To supplement the previous posts about Java, and if someone encounters the same problems: after (too quickly, I should have red this post first) upgrading to Mavericks, I had two problems:
. Max5 didn’t launch at all, the console gave me:
30/10/2013 13:54:22,858 com.apple.launchd.peruser.503: (com.cycling74.Max.39632) Exited with code: 97
. Max6 launched, but jitter made it crash, with a similar error message
"Exited with code: 97" means that the JVM is missing. I had indeed once a fugacious about Max requiring Java and asking me to upgrade, but it did not. Mavericks has a known bug requiring this automatic installation of Java (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19533528/installing-java-on-osx-10-9-mavericks). You need to install Java manually, but Java 6 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572) as installing only Java 7 seems to be useless for Max.
Now Max5 starts, and Max6 loads Jitter. I have indeed the bug (spinning wheel), if I switch on and off the DAC too quickly, but at the moment I can live with it. Downgrading to Mountain Lion seems to be a real pain, so I prefer to avoid it, and to wait for the next minor update of Max6.
it seems like it’s gonna take ‘weeks’ though :(
Just updated to Mavericks. Running Max 6.1.2.
Max crashes any time I hold "alt/option" and hover over a selected patch-cord. Crashes before displaying the "+" icon.
Anyone else finding a similar problem?
Don’t know if it’s related but a friend of mine who just upgraded couldn’t launch a standalone video player I made for him, even after installing max runtime. It seems he gets a "no application to open this" message.
Hi, I’m ready to commit suicide. When will there be an update to get MAX back to life under Mavericks? Thanks.. N
I’ve also just installed Max on my new Macbook Pro (Retina, late 2013 model) and the jit.grab and jit.qt.grab functions don’t seem to be working (error code 9403).
Is this a known Mavericks bug, or could it be system related?
Please note that we have released Max 6.1.5 which fixes audio-related crashes and hangs on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks).
You can download it here:
See the forum post for a list of other fixed bugs:
I would not be suprised that your problem with the video player not starting on Mavericks is due to the absence of Java. Ask your friend to double-Check with the OsX Console and see there are any messages that match the one I posted earlier for this topic.
Hi. I just installed 6.1.5 and jit.grab and jit.qt.grab still don’t work:
jit.qt.grab: could not create video channel -9405
jit.qt.grab: error opening device for grab.
This is using Max for Live in Live 9.1 beta.
Also, I don’t know if it’s a Mavericks issue but I just upgraded to a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with Nvidia GPU, and Max’s OpenGL Status says version 2.1 and GLSL version 1.20. Doesn’t Mavericks support OpenGL version 4.1? I figured that with the new hardware and OS I could finally try out all the V-Module shaders that require a higher GLSL version.
I hope you’ve receive and read my last sent emails,
what is now the actual status to get proper working with Mavericks?
at this time, I’ve not order yet my next computermachine (MB Pro 13"), because unfortunately some sellers and distributors told to me that the newer models are not equipped with ML 10.8 (and the other point is under the several ultrabooks, none of these machines are equipped with thunderbolt (except the older acer 5 ub?))
let me know, if the signal is set to "green" for Max/Msp 6 and 10.9 or if you have other suggestions
@CODY GARNER here I am exposing the same issue with jit.qt.grab (and kinect related objects as well)
I does not seems a mavericks issue but maxMSP with the late 2013 Retina Macbook pros
@new 15"MBP users:
I’m running Mavericks and Max 6.1.3 on a 12 month student licence and i’m having the issue with max crashing every time i turn on the audio. Is there currently an update that can fix this and will I need to purchase it again or will the download work with my existing licence?
Try to update to Max 6.1.6, it’s free.
Is there a list of known issues with 10.9 using 6.1.6?
I occasionally have max crashing, just editing patches.
(Nothing specific unfortunately – though one did seem to keep reoccurring when editing comment of outlets in inspector)
Crash logs show it’s in juce main thread.
Should I send these reports somewhere?
Feature request: can we please have some kind of auto save/recovery. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve lost 15 mins of work due to a crash.
Ps I’ve only just started using max ‘in anger’ , so may be unrelated to 10.9/6.1.6 – though it does seem a little less stable.
Just thought I’d mention that I have been running Mavericks 10.9.1 with 32-bit Max 6.1.6 on a core i7 MBP with no problems at all. A friend is running a beta version of 32-bit Max 6.1.7 with no problems either… In fact, I have actually noticed general improvements in system performance since changing (faster startup & load times, etc).
Mavericks is A okay on my system, I’d dare say it even seems to be running smoother ;-)
Did SoundFlower break on anyone else since updating to Mavericks 10.9.4? It was working fine before I updated yesterday, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced issues.
Same using MAC OS 10.9.4 is causing me issues, it seems to have knocked out my sound output.
I did contact support but they say they aren’t updating Soundflower anymore which is a shame, I was looking for another product but nothing seems to match up to this one..
I try to update to Max 6.1.6, sucsess
Forums > MaxMSP